Open Sat 9:00am : 01582 842096
VioVet Insurance
Free Delivery on orders over £29

Boxer saved by surgery after eating five rubber balls

Thursday, 10th May 2012

A Boxer is lucky to be alive after mistaking pet toys for dog food on two separate occasions.

Zeus, from Stoke-on-Trent, had to have emergency surgery after eating five rubber balls. Just months later, he once again needed to visit the vet again after eating a toy slipper.

The dog was taken to the PDSA where senior veterinary surgeon Duncan Senior treated him. He explained that Zeus' case shows the importance of training a dog to drop items they are chewing.

He said: "It's important that dogs will drop items if told to do so. Always make sure toys are a suitable size and type for the pet, as dogs can swallow objects that are too small and solid toys can cause suffocation if they get wedged in a pet’s windpipe."

Dr Senior added that owners should always keep an eye on their dog while they are playing and keep anything that could be swallowed out of the way.

Zeus' owner, Anthony Wain, said that they are now keeping a close watch over Zues to make sure he does not eat any more toys.