The transition period is over and Great Britain has officially left the EU! This means if you wish to travel to the EU or Northern Ireland with your dog, cat or ferret then new rules apply. These can seem quite overwhelming so we at VioVet have summarised a guide containing all the information you need to know.

What are the main changes?

Travellers from Great Britain used to use Pet Passports which allowed infinite travel between the EU/Northern Ireland and Great Britain as long as they were in date. However Pet Passports issued in GB now are no longer valid and an Animal Health Certificate before every journey is instead required. Pet Passports issued in the EU or Northern Ireland however are still suitable for use, as long as kept up to date.

Animal Health Certificates (AHCs)

These are issued by ‘Official Veterinarians’ and you must obtain one no more than 10 days before you travel. They are essentially proof from your vet that your dog is suitable for travel. Your local vet should be able to provide these for you and if not then they can point you in the right direction.
An AHC is valid for 10 days for entry into the EU or Northern Ireland, for 4 months for onward travel within the EU and for 4 months for re-entry to Great Britain.

Travel Checklist
Below is a handy checklist for what you need to travel with your dog/cat/ferret from GB to the EU/NI:

  • Microchip - your pet must be microchipped.

  • Rabies Vaccine - your pet must be vaccinated against rabies at least 21 days before travel, records of which should be recorded on your AHC.

  • AHC or Pet Passport - You must have a valid Animal Health Certificate (AHC) issued less than 10 days before the date of travel OR a Pet passport issued in the EU/NI

  • Tapeworm treatment for dogs - this is a requirement only if travelling to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta and only for dogs. Treatment must be given between 24 and 120 hours before travel and must be administered and recorded by your vet onto your AHC.

Repeat trips?

You will need a new Animal Health Certificate for each trip. The Rabies vaccine is still valid as long as it is in date. Tapeworm treatment for the above listed countries will also be required again if you own a dog.

Travelling with more than 5 pets?

You can only travel with this number of pets if you are attending or training for a competition, show or sporting event. You will require written evidence of registration for this event or training at the border. All pets travelling in this scenario must be attending the event, over 6 months old and meet the requirement checklist as mentioned previously.

If you have any specific questions please contact our customer services on [email protected]. Any additional information surrounding BREXIT and pet travel can be found on the government website directly.

Written by: Dr. Nick Garside BVetMed MRCVS