The independent, ever so slightly secretive nature of cats is what we love about them as a species, so there’s nothing more fascinating than learning more about their unique personalities and behaviours!
Here are some fun facts about cats that you might not know:
- A group of kittens is called a kindle, and a group of adult cats is a clowder.
- Cats have over 20 muscles that control their ears.
- A cat has been mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska, for 15 years. His name is Stubbs.
- Cats can’t taste sweetness.
- Evidence suggests domesticated cats have been around since 3600 BC, 2000 years before the Egyptian pharaohs.
- Female cats are typically right-pawed while male cats are typically left-pawed.
- Cats make more than 100 different sounds whereas dogs make around 10.
- When a family cat died in ancient Egypt, family members would shave off their eyebrows as they mourned.
- The largest litter of kittens produced 19 kittens.
- A cat’s brain is biologically more similar to a human brain than it is to a dog’s. Both humans and cats have identical regions in their brains that are responsible for emotions.
- A cat’s jaw can’t move sideways, so a cat can’t chew large chunks of food.
- Cats spend 70% of their lives sleeping, so a 15-year-old cat will have spent 10 years asleep.
- Cats can drink seawater.
- Cats have an extra organ that allows them to taste scents on the air.
We hope you’ve found these interesting and if you have any other facts you’d like to add to our list, comment below or email me directly: [email protected]
Written by: Hannah Dyball