For cats with a fear of fireworks, now is an anxious time for them, with Bonfire Night and New Year just around the corner. When it comes to the loud noises and bright flashes of fireworks, we know exactly what they are, whereas our pets are completely in the dark and see them as threatening occurrences.
Try to remain calm. Your pet will pick up on your mood and any show of stress or worry on your part will exacerbate their fear and worsen the situation. Calm indifference will teach them there is nothing to fear and help them relax.
Along with small changes made at home, such as creating a safe, cosy space for your cat to retreat to, and closing all windows and doors, including locking the cat flap, it can be helpful to include a calming supplement or product to work alongside the environment.
For pets with severe firework fear, a combined approach usually works best. Below we have listed our top-rated products this firework season, which we help proves useful for your cat.
- SettleMe – our new and improved formula contains a blend of ingredients believed to be helpful in supporting calm behaviour and reducing anxiety, stress-related behaviours and over-activity, not only during fireworks but during any stressful event. The chews are easy to give, with or without food, and can be given as ‘treats’ in the lead up to scheduled displays.
- Feliway – available as a room spray or diffuser, Feliway products contain a synthetic copy of the feline facial pheromone naturally given off cats when they feel comfortable and secure. The diffuser provides a calming effect for up to 4 weeks.
- Pet Remedy – these natural calming products contain a blend of essential oils which work alongside the relaxation pathways in the brain to help calm the nerves of anxious and stressed pets. The diffuser provides calming for up to 8 weeks, while the spray can be used as and when needed.
- YuCalm – this all-natural supplement containing scientifically proven ingredients, supports calm behaviour, eases anxiety and helps reduce stress. It can be given daily to provide long-term calming support and is designed to be palatable.
- Zylkene – containing a natural product derived from casein, a milk protein, Zylkene is a popular product amongst vets and behaviourists for helping pets to adapt to difficult or unpredictable situations where they’re likely to feel anxious or stressed. For easy administration, Zylkene capsules can be opened and the powder mixed into food.
If you’ve had any success with these products, we would love to hear from you! Comment below to share with our other readers or email me directly: [email protected]
Written by: Hannah Dyball