Avoid potential festive perils this year, pet owners urged

Monday, 17th December 2012

There are a number of perils our pets face during the festive season and Brits have been urged to be vigilant over the festive period.

Although many of us look forward to overindulging over Christmas as we tuck into a range of treats such as chocolate and macadamia nuts, these snacks can be poisonous to cats and dogs.

Chocolate poisoning can cause pets to vomit, while in some extreme cases it can be fatal, underlining the need for animal owners to be vigilant over the holidays.

RSPCA New South Wales chief veterinarian Magdalene Awad also advised Brits to avoid giving their pets rich food which could cause an illness.  

"Fatty meats like pork and ham can induce pancreatitis, which can cause intense pain and shock and the animal usually needs to be hospitalised," Dr Awad told the http://express.whereilive.com.au website.

Those looking to treat their pet this Christmas should only give them pet food from respected brands such as Purina and Royal Canin.