Open Fri 8:30am : 01582 842096
VioVet Insurance
Free Delivery on orders over £29

Wild mushrooms kill pet dog

Monday, 5th December 2011

Owners should be careful when walking their dog, as pet medication may not be enough to save it from poisonous wild mushrooms.

Fred Marchment and his wife were walking their Springer Spaniel-Collie Cross Jake near their home in Upper Clatford, near Andover, when the animal ate some poisenous fungi, reports the Daily Telegraph.

Mr Marchment told the news provider: "We shouted at him to stop but it was too late - within three hours he died. It was horrible. We are really upset.

"There's fungi and toadstools everywhere. It's been so damp and warm, they are all over the place even though it's nearly Christmas."

The family is now warning other owners to make sure their pets do not eat this type of fungi growing in the area.

According to, symptoms of a dog eating poisonous mushrooms include vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhoea.

Owners should try to take the mushroom they think their dog has eaten to the vet with them if possible, the website notes.