UK consumers have been urged to store pet medication safely out of reach from animals to prevent any potential accidents.
Dr Louise Murray, director of medicine at the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals' Bergh Memorial Animal Hospital in New York City, warned that the majority of pet drugs are designed to be appealing to animals and they may attempt to eat through packaging to consume them.
This can lead to a potential overdose, so she advised pet owners to keep any medication where animals are unable to access it, while human medication should also be kept separate.
Dr Murray added that there are many other dangerous substances which animals can encounter in the home, such as anti-freeze in the garage.
She told the official Everyday Health website: "A dog may lick it off the floor while its owner is working on a car."