East Ayrshire owners warned over cat poisonings

Wednesday, 15th August 2012

Cat owners in East Ayrshire are being warned about a number of poisonings that took place in the East Ayrshire area of Scotland.

The Scottish SPCA is appealing for information after three cats died from being poisoned and is investigating the incidents with the Scottish Government.

Mike Flynn, chief superintendent, said: "It's likely this poison has been mixed with meat to appeal to the cats and act as bait.

"We would urge anyone with information to come forward, even anonymously, as soon as possible.

"In the meantime, we want pet owners in the area to be aware of the potential danger and to remain vigilant."

Owner Karen Bain said her one-and-a-half-year-old cat Jackson died on the way to the hospital after falling ill.

She said she was devastated and that it is frightening to know that someone nearby could be the perpetrator.

Anyone who has information regarding these deaths is being asked to contact the Scottish SPCA's animal helpline on 03000 999 999.