Open Fri 8:30am : 01582 842096
VioVet Insurance
Free Delivery on orders over £29
  • Dog owners 'should be aware of the dangers of slug pellets'

Dog owners 'should be aware of the dangers of slug pellets'

Monday, 23rd July 2012

Slug pellets are poisonous to dogs and often result in the animal needing pet medication, the Kennel Club has warned.

The organisation has said dog owners should seek immediate vet attention if they suspect their pet has consumed slug pellets.

This warning was issued as the UK is set to have the wettest summer on record, meaning there is an increase in slugs and snails, and therefore more products are laid out to get rid of them.

Metaldehyde-based products are extremely dangerous to pets. Nick Sutton, health information officer at the Kennel Club, said: "Even small amounts of metaldehyde can cause a sudden onset of effects, such as twitching and fitting and so rapid intervention can save an animal’s life.

"Intensive therapy may be required, involving heavy sedation, control of convulsions and associated life support measures if needed."

He added that if a pet does consume slug pellets, it is important to take the packet it came in to the vet so they know which pesticide the animal has ingested.

Owners should also be aware of the dangers of slugs and snails, as they can cause lungworm in dogs if they are eaten.