Open Sat 9:00am : 01582 842096
Free Delivery on orders over £29
VioVet Insurance

Daffodils can be poisonous to dogs

Thursday, 5th April 2012

In order to keep dogs from needing pet medication, the Blue Cross has issued a warning about garden plants that are poisonous to dogs.

The charity warns that flowers like crocuses, daffodils and tulips can be toxic to animals, with spring bulbs sometimes proving deadly if eaten.

"It may be best to avoid keeping these plants in your garden if you're a pet owner. If you do have daffodils in your garden then watch your dog when you let them outside and call them away if they show interest in nibbling any plants," the charity said.

The Blue Cross also suggests keeping dogs on leads when walking near dangerous plants and when they are let off, make sure they do not chew flowers or plants.

Symptoms of poisoning include salivating more than usual, sickness and/or diarrhoea, being unsteady or lacking coordination and unconsciousness.

If these symptoms occur, the dog should be taken to the vet.