A charity has warned about the dangers cat bites can cause to pets and people after it took a dog three months to recover from an attack.
Cassie was bitten by a cat in her garden which resulted in a ten inch abscess on her chest a few days after the bite.
She was taken to the PDSA's Stoke pet hosptial where she had two operations to treat the wound.
Duncan Senior, senior veterinary surgeon at the charity, said cat bites can lead to serious complications if left untreated because they naturally harbour lots of bacteria in their mouths.
"That means the bacteria quickly reproduce and can lead to a very severe infection," he said.
"I have known colleagues almost losing their fingers from cat bite wounds and one even had to undergo major surgery to remove a cat bite abscess from her brain."
He added that poeple should always seek medical or vet advice if bitten by a cat.
Research by the PDSA found that 1.3 million cats in the UK show aggression to other pets on a weekly basis.
They believe that Cassie was probably in the wrong place at the wrong time, as cats are very territorial.