Open Mon 8:30am : 01582 842096
Free Delivery on orders over £29
VioVet Insurance

Charity offers advice on keeping cats safe from poisons

Wednesday, 14th March 2012

A charity has offered advice to make sure owners do not need pet medication for their cats.

The Blue Cross has listed some common poisons that can harm the health of cats, which some owners may be unaware of.

The charity warns that lilies, onions and flea or tick products. The pollen from lilies can cause a reaction in cats and while many cats ignore them, kittens and indoor cats are prone to chewing them, so they should be avoided.

Onions contain a substance that can be toxic for cats so owners should not feed them scraps from the dinner table that may contain them. Flea or tick products designed for dogs can result in owners giving a cat the wrong dose; so directions should be followed very carefully.

Other more obvious poisons include mice and rat poison, painkillers, antifreeze, paint remover, slug pellets and coal/tar-based products, such as disinfectants that turn cloudy when mixed with water.

The charity said: "If your cat eats or comes into contact with anything unusual you should call your vet immediately.

"Don't try to make your cat sick without asking the vet and never given them medicines designed for humans. If your cat is staggering or having a fit, clear obstacles out of the way and make the room dark and quiet."