Open Tue 8:30am : 01582 842096
Free Delivery on orders over £29
VioVet Insurance

Cat dies after drinking antifreeze

Friday, 21st October 2011

Pet medication was not enough to save a cat after it accidentally drank anti-freeze and a family is now warning other owners after their pet died.

Helen and Ben Brewster, from Evesham, were left "devastated" after their cat, Olly, died from drinking the fluid, reports the Evesham Journal.

Cats come in contact with antifreeze when they sit under cars. If it is consumed, the liquid crystallises and causes acute renal failure. Mortality rates are between 97 and 100 per cent.

Ms Brewster told the news provider: "Our family has been devastated by the loss of our cat Olly last week due to antifreeze poisoning.

"At this time of year people are beginning to prepare their cars for winter and this often includes the use of antifreeze. However, most people are not aware how poisonous it is to animals."

Tracy Healy, a partner in Foxhall Veterinary Practice in Ruskington, also recently warned about the danger of antifreeze to cats

She told the Sleaford Standard that it is sweet for cats, which is why they drink it. She warned owners must be careful when leaving it around.