Open until 6:00pm : 01582 842096
VioVet Insurance
Free Delivery on orders over £29

Beware the danger of anti-freeze to pets

Monday, 21st January 2013

With icy conditions setting in across the UK, animal charities have been issuing a warning to pet owners to keep their animals away from anti-freeze, which can be potentially lethal.

According to the Kennel Club, the sweet taste of anti-freeze is very enticing for pets, yet ingesting even the smallest amount could cause serious health problems, and left untreated can even lead to death.

Great care should be taken when handling the substance, and all spills should be cleaned up straight away.

Owners should be on the lookout for symptoms such as vomiting, seizures, drowsiness and excessive panting, all of which could be an indication that a pet has ingested anti-freeze.

If an animal displays any of these symptoms then owners should try to make them throw up, and should seek veterinary attention without delay.

Similarly, grit contains rock salt which can cause dehydration and liver failure in cats and dogs, which is why owners should try and prevent their pets from licking grit on the roads, and should clean their animals' paws when they have been outside.