Open Fri 8:30am : 01582 842096
VioVet Insurance
Free Delivery on orders over £29

Labrador saves owners from fire tearing through their home

Monday, 5th March 2012

A Labrador from Somerset will no doubt be spoiled with dog food treats after saving his owners' lives from a fire that was spreading through their home.

Murphy, the two-and-a-half-year-old dog, alerted owner Beverley Langdale and her boyfriend Andy to the fire in the middle of the night, reports

The dog barked loudly to be let out in the garden. After Andy got up to let him out, Murphy sat barking and looking at the roof, at which point Andy noticed the flames coming from the cottage roof.

The fire had broken out in the roof space between the bedroom ceiling and the roof.

Ms Langdale explained that she had been out that evening and had come home to a horrible smell. She could not find anything after investigating so went to watch TV with Andy. Murphy then set about raising the alarm.

She told the news provider: "I am very grateful to Murphy as if he had not raised the alarm, it could have been a very different story. If we had carried on regardless and gone up to bed we could have walked straight into the fire.

"He was very brave and will be getting a special treat - his favourite is cold sausages – as a special thank you."