Keep chocolate away from pets this Easter

Thursday, 28th March 2013

One of the best things about Easter is the fact that we get to eat so much chocolate, although owners are being advised not to let their pets get their paws on any cocoa-containing treats, as this can be severely detrimental to their health.

According to the British Veterinary Association (BVA), the number of cases of chocolate poisoning tends to rise considerably at this time of year, with many pet owners giving in to their animal's puppy-dog eyes and allowing them a bite of their Easter egg or chocolate cake.

However, chocolate is toxic to a number of animals including dogs as it contains a chemical called theobromine, which many pets are unable to properly digest, therefore leading to digestive and sometimes cardiovascular problems.

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include sickness, diarrhoea, dehydration and erratic behaviour, which is why owners are advised to keep their animals on a strict diet of pet food and specially-formulated treats.