The financial responsibilities that come with looking after an animal are well documented, with pet food, medication and accessories often taking up a large chunk of our cash.
But one pet dog from New York has taken things a step further by literally eating his owner's loose change, swallowing a total of 111 pennies in a single sitting.
At the ripe old age of 13 years, the Jack Russell terrier, named Jack, should probably have known better than to chow down on a pile of coins, as zinc can in fact be lethal to dogs.
After rushing his pet to the vet, the dog's owner told the New York Daily News that Jack is now back to normal and recovering after undergoing an operation to have the coins removed.
Incidents like this should serve as reminders to all pet owners that animals don't always think before they eat, which is why it's important to keep dangerous items out of their reach.