Open until 6:00pm : 01582 842096
VioVet Insurance
Free Delivery on orders over £29

Dog eats Christmas fairy lights

Tuesday, 18th December 2012

A dog in Southampton nearly died after it swallowed a foot of Christmas fairly lights.

Charlie, a seven-year-old crossbreed, had to undergo emergency surgery at the city's PDSA PetAid hospital to remove the festive decorations.

He was taken to the veterinary charity after owner Sharon Fay noticed that wires were sticking out of his faeces and a subsequent x-ray confirmed her suspicions.

"I hadn't even noticed that the lights had been chewed at this stage but it quickly became clear what had happened," Ms Fay said.

"Back in March he ate one of my scarves and needed an operation to remove it, but I thought it was just a one-off incident as he hadn't shown any signs that he was going to be a repeat offender. I've had dogs all my life and have never known a dog act like this before."

Pet owners across the country should make sure to pet-proof their house this Christmas to ensure that they only get their paws on delicious dog food and not the decorations.