From making sure they eat well and get plenty of exercise to organising regular vet check-ups and vaccinations, you do a lot to keep your dog happy and healthy. But did you know that a lot of common household items can actually be poisonous to your pet? So, it's important to keep certain foods, cleaning products and medications well out of their reach.
Of course, to do so, you need to know which substances pose a problem. After all, while naturally you might make sure you hide away harsh cleaning products or put your tablets on a high shelf out of reach, you might not think twice about whether you dog might get to that bowl of grapes or your box of chocolates.
Here is a round-up of some of the common household items that pose a threat to your pooch's wellbeing.
Grapes, currants, raisins and sultanas
While we may love them, these fruits all contain toxins harmful for dogs. In fact, they are potentially fatal. As well as ensuring your dog cannot get to the fruits themselves, take the same precautions with anything that might contain them, such as muesli or baked treats.
Caffeine can cause problems with your dog's heart - but usually only in high quantities. Nevertheless, you don't want to take any chances. Keep mugs filled with caffeine and tea well out of reach of your pooch's tongue (which will also help them avoid potentially nasty burns too), and ensure coffee beans, instant coffee and tea bags are kept in a high cupboard they can't get too. Watch out for those cans of energy drink too!
Most households have a chocolate lover in them, but the sweet stuff can be very bad for your dog. It contains a chemical called theobromine, which can be fatal for pets. Typically, the higher the cocoa content of the chocolate, the more of this there will be.
Salt is very poisonous to dogs, and it's found in far more household items than just your food. Pay particular attention to things like dishwater tablets and salts, playdough and bath salts.
Never give any medicine meant for humans to your pet, even if you think he is in pain. Human medication isn't meant for canine use, and you could seriously harm for your beloved pooch.
A common ingredient in sweets and chewing gum, xylitol is extremely poisonous to dogs, so take care to keep these items well hidden - preferably in a place that would be impossible for your dog to reach.
Written by: Hannah Dyball