How do I buy prescription medication?

5 festive treats you should avoid this Christmas

- Posted by in Dog Health & Wellbeing News
5 festive treats you should avoid this Christmas

Christmas is generally a time of excess and tasty treats, giving many people a reason to indulge in food they try to avoid across the rest of the year. Unfortunately, this also means your dog has more access to foods they shouldn't eat.

While you might want to eat foods that aren't exactly healthy, some of your treats can actually be lethal to your dog and so you should ensure they don't have any access to them at all.

Here are five of the main foods dogs tend to get ill on over the Christmas period, making them treats you should keep out of the reach of your pooch.

Christmas cake or pudding

There are a few reasons why Christmas cake or pudding should not be fed to your dog, the first one being the fact that it is they tend to be full of raisins or sultanas. These are essentially grapes, which are poisonous to dogs.

If a dog were to eat Christmas pudding or cake, they would essentially end up eating more 'grapes' than if they were eating the fruit.

Cakes and puddings are also full of fat and sugar, which can upset their stomachs and lead to further illnesses down the line. They also tend to contain a lot of alcohol, which can leave your pet feeling worse for wear.

Chocolate

It is easy to forget that chocolate is poisonous for dogs, especially at this time of year when there is so much around. This is why you have to be extra careful to ensure your dog doesn't get hold of any chocolate treats this month.

Macadamia nuts

It is quite common for people to have nuts around the house as a seasonal snack in the run up to Christmas and an unattended nut bowl is easy pickings for a dog. However, it takes only 12 hours for macadamia nuts to result in tremors, vomiting, weakness, depression and hyperthermia.

Once these symptoms start, they tend to last for between 12 and 48 hours. If your dog displays any of these, you should contact your vet as soon as possible.

Bones

With meat joints being a popular choice for Christmas food, it is often the case that you end up with bones to be gotten rid of. You might think it is a good idea to give these to your dog, however; once you have cooked bones, they splinter much easier. This can result in large pieces of bones getting stuck in your dog's throat or digestive system, causing obstructions.

As well as not giving the bones to your pet, you should ensure they are thrown away somewhere secure to stop your dog from being able to get to them later on and potentially make themselves ill.

Alcohol

Just as it is for humans, alcohol is intoxicating for dogs. This means you should avoid giving them any food that was cooked with alcohol and stop them getting to any unobserved glasses that contain a tasty tipple.

Alcohol can lead to dizziness, vomiting and other side effects in your pet. If you suspect your dog has managed to drink an alcoholic beverage or has consumed food that contains large amounts of alcohol, you should contact your vet.

Written by:

Leave a Comment

Please complete all fields marked with *