Open Wed 8:30am : 01582 842096
Free Delivery on orders over £29
VioVet Insurance

Hagen Brass Bell for Parrots Bird Toy

  • Brass Bell » 7cm £7.08


Hagen Brass Bell for Parrots provides exercise and entertainment for your parrot while having a safe, solid construction. It comes complete with a matching 18cm chain.

Need help or advice? Contact us:

  • Landline: 01582 842096
  • Freephone*: 0800 084 2608
  • Mon - Fri: 8:30am - 6:00pm
  • Sat: 9:00am - 1:00pm
  • Email:

All prices include VAT where applicable. *The freephone number is free from most UK landlines only, mobiles are usually charged so we'd recommend calling our landline from your mobile or internationally.

Reviews of Hagen Brass Bell for Parrots Bird Toy

Read our customers' reviews of Hagen Brass Bell for Parrots Bird Toy

Questions & Answers for Hagen Brass Bell for Parrots Bird Toy

Below are some recent questions we've received regarding Hagen Brass Bell for Parrots Bird Toy, including answers from our team.

Ask Your Own Question

Why are you selling brass for birds when it's toxic to them

25th May 2014
Brass is toxic to birds

Brass is one of the many metals that is toxic to birds, although of course they do not eat the bell, birds chew & bite their toys and over time small amounts accumulate and kill the bird. Why are you selling this brass bell if you have information Regarding animals? Owners that don't realise this are buying this item thinking its a good idea for entertaining their beloved pet however what's happening is it's slowly getting poisoned.

John Cousins
  • Veterinary Surgeon

Thank you for pointing this out. We will certainly remove the item from sale if there is reason to. I have had a quick search on the internet and there is indeed plenty of alarmist information out there, but I have not so far seen anything concrete. It seems to be people quoting other people without any scientific basis. Please correct me if I am wrong and I would be interested to see your sources of information. If it is just "old wives' tails" then that is not sufficient. My thinking at the moment goes like this:

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. If soluble zinc is consumed in large quantities it is toxic and can kill birds. However in small quantities the opposite happens. It is an important nutrient, an essential mineral, for birds and mammals. Diets are in fact supplemented with zinc when needed. Copper is similar. The zinc and copper contained in brass are to all intents and purposes insoluble. They are combined in such a way to make them inert and unavailable to the bird playing with the bell. Indeed brass is very hard and bits of it do not "break off" anyway when chewed by a budgie. If small bits were consumed, or indeed any of the oxidised tarnish from the surface, then within the acid environment of the stomach, it is indeed possible that some might be dissolved and absorbed. Whether this amount could add up to toxic levels, or conversely might be small and nutritionally of value, I do not know. My instinct would be to say that it is non-toxic due the durable nature of brass. One could look at the analogy of mercury, which is known for certain to be extremely toxic to people and animals. However dentists force mercury amalgum (a mixture of mercury, silver, tin, copper and traces of other metals) into people's teeth in their millions. That is controversial, but even when it is used to grind away in our mouths, swallowing the debris, most people believe it is not toxic. Looking at it from a different angle, there is also some concern about zinc where it is used to galvanise aviary wire netting for birds. However, the name "new wire disease" was coined to explain the fact that heavy metal contaminants from the galvanising process are thought to be the toxic elements, not the zinc itself. Old, weathered wire, with its zinc coating, seems to be safe and is certainly very widely used around the world.

Let me know if you know more about this important topic, but I suspect it is just internet scare mongering.