Open Thu 8:30am: 01582 842096

Owners advised to monitor consumption of pet drugs

Wednesday, 2nd February 2011

UK consumers should ensure that their animals are unable to overdose on pet drugs, it has been claimed.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) has released a list of ten harmful pet toxins and revealed that pet medication is harmful in large doses.

It said: "Many medications made for our pets are flavoured for ease of giving. Unfortunately, that means that animals may ingest the entire bottle of medication if they find it to be tasty.

"Common chewable medications include arthritis and incontinence medications. Always contact your veterinarian if your pet ingests more than a proper dose of medication."

The ASPCA also urged owners not to offer their pets any human medication, with around one quarter of all calls made to the organisation about this topic.

Animals are most likely to consume medicines after they have accidentally been left on the floor, it added.