Open Thu 8:30am: 01582 842096

Never feed dogs grapes or raisins

Wednesday, 21st December 2011

Most dogs get treats as well as their regular dog food but one vet has warned that owners should never give their pets grapes or raisins.

Dr Pete Wedderburn, writing for the Daily Telegraph, explained that these sorts of fruits can cause "sporadic instances of fatal renal failure".

He was asked by a reader about what sort of fruit is safe for dogs, as their three-year-old West Highland Terrier loves eating oranges and pineapple.

Dr Wedderburn wrote: "It's safe to feed dogs most types of fruit and vegetables, as long as you don't cause a gastric upset with very large amounts.

"Be careful with fruit with stones (such as peaches), as if these are swallowed, they commonly cause intestinal obstructions."

The other foods to avoid are onions and garlic, as they can cause anaemia. Garlic used in dog food for flavouring is safe though, as this is made from garlic supplements for dogs, he added.